Xiaomi GetApps store is distributing a malicious modification of the Telegram client
Some users report that the malicious app version comes pre-installed on Xiaomi smartphones they purchased.
The client downloaded from GetApps displays suspicious icons that offer participation in a giveaway and claim that the user has won a cash prize. Additionally, users report that the app may unexpectedly terminate the session, requiring a new login.
The @tginfo editors warn:
1. There is no official version 9.6.9 of the Telegram app for Android: after version 9.6.7, Telegram developers released version 9.7.0.
2. The giveaways and prizes mentioned by this modification are not related to Telegram. They are likely an attempt to steal your data.
We strongly advise against using or installing Telegram from Xiaomi GetApps.
If you are using the GetApps version of the messenger:
1. Log out from your account.
2. Delete the malicious version.
3. Install the official client from the Telegram website: telegram.org/android.
4. After a day, go to Settings › Devices and select "Terminate all other sessions". This will require re-login on all devices except the current one. If possible, instead of waiting a day, perform this action from another device where you have been using Telegram for some time.
5. In the GetApps settings, disable "Auto updates".